What causes cavities in children?
Most of the time cavities are due to a diet high in sugary foods and a lack of brushing. Limiting sugar intake and brushing regularly, of course, can help.
The longer it takes your child to chew their foods and the longer the residue stays on their teeth, the greater the chances of getting cavities. Every time someone eats, an acid reaction occurs inside their mouth as the bacteria digest the sugars. This reaction lasts approximately twenty minutes. During this time the acid environment can destroy the tooth structure, eventually leading to cavities. Consistency of a person’s saliva also makes a difference; thinner saliva breaks up and washes away food more quickly. When a person eats diets high in carbohydrates and sugars, they tend to have thicker saliva, which in turn produces more of the acid-producing bacteria that causes cavities.
How to prevent cavities in children?
- Limit frequency of meals and snacks.
- Help your child brush and floss regularly.
- Avoid sticky foods (fruit rolls and sticky dried fruit).
- Make treats part of meals.
- Choose nutritious snacks.
- Do not reward or bribe your child using candy or other unhealthy foods.
- Ask your doctor about medications that may cause a dry mouth. Saliva is necessary to wash away food.
- Some medications are high in sugar. Brush teeth after using them.
- Avoid high carbohydrate/sugary sports drinks or juices. Most fruit juices (apple) are high in sugar and low in nutritional value.
Baby teeth are important as they not only hold space for permanent teeth but they are important to chewing, biting, speech and appearance.
Our mission is to create a passion for good oral hygiene and for visits to the dentist within kids of all ages. As we partner with your child as part of their oral health team, we seek to assist in establishing healthy patterns and an anxiety-free love for caring for our teeth. Your peace of mind as parents is top priority to us as you trust your kids to our care, so we employ state-of-the-art technology and sterilization procedures, guaranteeing safety, comfort, and top-notch patient care.Aurora Office Appointments Map & Driving Directions